Wolf Blitzer Contemplates a Lateral Move to the Greeting Card Industry
From his essay, A salute to politicians:Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Jon Huntsman, Ron Paul and Rick Perry could have taken the easy path and relaxed and enjoyed life. Instead of playing golf and hanging out with their children and grandchildren, they are working hard trying to get the Republican presidential nomination. In the process, they are bitterly attacked - often for good reason.
Why do they do it?
I know what they say. They say they are interested in public service and want to help the American people. They say they believe in what they are trying to achieve.
The cynics say they have huge egos and are simply seeking power and glory.
That is certainly true of some politicians.
But having covered many of them over the years, I also know some are trying to do the right thing, and I salute them.
I think Erik Wemple of the Washington Post has it right. In this fourth-grade essay that Blitzer chose to share with us, the impression given is of fear. Fear of having an opinion, of offending anyone, of appearing to have any sharp thoughts of his own.
Meanwhile, may I just say this about CNN anchors like Blitzer? They could be out there chasing stories, digging up dirt, verifying rumors, bearing witness to ugly truths. But instead they’re willing to endure the grind of well-paid air-conditioned studio-bound celebrity newsiness.
Why do they do it? I’ve asked myself that many times, and after years of criticizing them I have come to what is perhaps a surprising conclusion. The cynics will say they love the attention, the make-up girl, the swirl of activity around them, their name on the show. Being recognized in airports and all that.
Well, I disagree. They. Do. It. Be. Cause. They. Care.
- bien-se-loger reblogged this from jayrosen
- chaussures-fashion reblogged this from jayrosen
- ushumoradvice likes this
- selenakissingjustin2012 likes this
- daveschwartz likes this
- mokin likes this
- sictransitvir likes this
- inbonobo reblogged this from jayrosen and added:
- dcplod reblogged this from thewearyblues
- thewearyblues reblogged this from jayrosen and added:
- awritersruminations likes this
- mediatedexperience likes this
- shorterexcerpts reblogged this from jayrosen
- shorterexcerpts likes this
- llacigart reblogged this from jayrosen
- This was featured in #Politics
- thepoliticalnotebook likes this
- jayrosen posted this